We aim to make the world more just by using the powerful network of UUs in California. By 2018, we aim to achieve the following:
- California Unitarian Universalists have access to and participate in statewide justice education, advocacy, and witness that deepens their faith and changes life for the better in California.
- California Unitarian Universalist justice leaders are trained, effective, inspiring and connected.
- California Unitarian Universalist congregations utilize UUJM to strengthen their justice ministries.
- California policy-makers and justice leaders value UUJM as a visible and credible partner in advancing justice in California.
The Unitarian Universalist Justice Ministry of California advances justice in our state by cultivating and connecting leaders and communities, and by empowering the public voice of those who share UU values and principles.
We seek to develop the skills of civic engagement that we may educate, organize, and advocate for public policies that:
- uphold the worth and dignity of every person
- further justice, equity, and compassion in human relations
- ensure use of the democratic process
- protect religious freedom
- promote respect for the interdependent web of all existence
Charitable activity is a familiar and important part of a religious life. However, when poverty, environmental degradation, inequitable access to health care, and higher education are part of the structures of society, rather than unforeseen exceptions, then we know that charity is not enough. Our faith calls us to change policies and structures that inhibit human development, harm the environment, and destroy communities. We are called to educate and organize for justice.