Building Homes, Creating Community
April 13, 2023 @ 3:00 PM – April 16, 2023 @ 5:00 PM PDT
Pilgrimage to the Border (April 2023) – House Build
“It was so amazing for our family to have what we desired and thank you to Casas de Luz, our dream was made into a reality. We are so happy in our new home!”
— Cristal G
“It was a beautiful experience watching people who build a home for others without even knowing them. It was beautiful to see that they were helping us have somewhere to live and spend time as a family in our own home.”
— Adela C
During our visit we will be working together to make real impact for one family in an emerging community just south of our California Border in Tijuana.
Orientation and Information Gathering (click here to learn more)
Please join us on Dec 3rd @ 10am for an orientation program to learn more about how you can join us in this justice work. During the orientation, we will have an opportunity to witness the effect of US Immigration policies from both sides of the border, deepen our faith connection to issues and efforts around immigration justice, and to connect with communities directly impacted by our broken immigration system.
We will caravan from San Diego to Tijuana on Thursday afternoon to setup our accommodations. We will be staying at Casa Hogar La Gloria, a local orphanage, where we will be provided dinner and breakfast each day. From Casa Hogar La Gloria, we will make our way back and forth from the home build site and Border Church at Friendship Park.
* Each participant will be asked to bring their bedding (sleeping back, pillow) and other personal sundries.
- April 13 – Arrival and Welcome
- 3:00 PM – Meet in San Diego and leave for Tijuana
- 5:00 PM – Welcome
- April 14 – House Build
- 8:30 AM – Opening Ceremony, Build!
- 10:00 AM – Frame, truss, cut, paint progress
- 12:00 PM – Walls Up
- 1:00 PM – Lunch
- 3:00 PM – Drywall and Exterior Trim
- 5:00 PM – Clean-up for the Day
- 6:30 PM – Dinner and Social
- April 15 – House Build
- 6:30 AM – Breakfast
- 8:30 AM – Leave for site
- 9:00 AM – Interior Trim
- 10:30 AM – Roof
- 12:00 PM – Decorating and Furnishing
- 2:00 PM – Key Ceremony
- 4:00 PM – Leave Site
- 5:00 PM – Dinner
- 6:00 PM – Debriefing
- 7:00 PM – Social
- April 16 – Worship and Departure
- 10:00 AM – Breakfast
- 11:00 AM – Leave for Friendship Park
- 1:00 PM – Binational Border Church @ Friendship Park
- 3:00 PM – Leave for San Diego
- 4:00 PM – Arrive in San Diego